Requirements for SASSA Older Persons Grant : The SASSA Older Persons Grant, also known as the SASSA Old Age Pension, is open to people over 65 years of age and has the following requirements:
- Applicants must be 60 years and older.
- It is a requirement that you are a South African citizen or a permanent resident of South Africa
- Prior to applying, you must have lived in the country for a minimum of 15 years.
- In order to receive grant payments, you must have a bank account in your name
- You cannot be receiving social assistance or being cared for by a state institution.
To qualify for SASSA grants, applicants must pass a means test. The applicant’s income, assets, and expenses are assessed to determine if they are financially needy enough to qualify for the grant. The limit for single people is R86 280 per year, while it rises to R172 560 per year for married couples. If you are single, you cannot own assets worth more than R1 227 600; if you are married, you cannot own assets worth more than R2 455 200.
Depending on the funder, there are different requirements to determine
Applying for SASSA Older Persons Grant
SASSA Older Persons Grant applicants must take their original identification to a SASSA office where they live in order to apply. If you do not have your ID, you will need:
- A SASSA-format affidavit, signed by a Commissioner of Oaths, about why you do not have one
- You need a sworn statement from a member of your community (a minister of religion, traditional leader, ward councilor, or school principal) verifying your age and identity.
- SASSA will take your fingerprints and make you an ID application.
You will fill out an application form under the supervision of SASSA officers, who will also interview you regarding your eligibility. Keep your receipt as proof of your application once you have completed it.
In the event that you are ill or too old to travel easily, a family member or friend may make the application on your behalf. A doctor’s note explaining why you can’t attend will be needed on your behalf.
Documents Required to Apply for SASSA Older Persons
The following documents are required as part of the application process we described above:
- You will need documents proving your marital status
- Property proof, proof of residence, and proof of income
- Please provide proof of your private pensions
- 3 months bank statements
- UIF membership proof or discharge certificate from last employment for previously employed individuals
- A copy of the will and distribution accounts is required for widows and widowers whose partner passed away in the last 5 years